South Coast Sailboats

Replacement rudder

One of my earlier projects was to replace the original rudder. I made a much larger rudder (about 200% larger) and got great results from this project. I ran it about twice as wide and a little deeper. This was a big improvement over the original configuration. I made it out of some pressure treated 2 x 10 that I had doweled together.

A couple of years ago, I broke off my rudder in the Delaware River. That was probably the best thing that could have happened to that weak miserable piece of trash that the builder called a rudder. I built my own rudder (much larger) by taking dimensions off the stern of "Kickback", and then turning that into a rudder worthy of a Viking ship (probably almost big enough.

Anyway, I made the whole thing out of pressure treated two by tens (very easy to come by). For the rudder surface I doweled and joined two pieces of 2x10 together and then belt sanded both front and back edges to a pointed fin. The vertical back of the rudder was setup to meet the lower rudder and ride up over the stern. The tiller started out as a 2 x 10 and was cut down to give you a long handle and a wide thick yoke that slips over the vertical piece (set in-place with a12" long 1/2" hex bolt). Yea, pretty hard core, but the boat turns on a dime. Can be instantly influenced by a quick jab on the rudder, and responds really well to the influence of the cotpit tunnel mounted 25 hp motor I just installed at the end of last season. This rudder was cheap, easy to build and will probably outlast my boat.

I also recommend using a tiller tamer mounted to the rudder. Besides keeping the boat from swinging around at the mooring, it also acts as a rudder lock when under power by sail or motor. This allows me to cover between 100 to 500 yards distance in a straight line without putting so much as one finger on the tiller. (A couple of great recommendations)

Click on the picture to look at a larger picture

Return to Home Page